Thursday, August 28, 2008

Running With the Girls

I went for a run at 5:30 in the morning the other day. Suffice it to say that this was not my idea. My brain doesn't even turn on until 8:30, and even then it remains on idle until about 10 o'clock.

I have rather evil friends who talked me into it. Okay, not totally evil, just rather sadistic.

We started our run on a dark path on a forested hillside. I was sent to the front of the pack to lead the way up toward the park at the top.

Why, you ask? That would b e because I'm the tallest and the best equipped to clear out the cobwebs that spun between bushes across the trail.

Did I know this was my mission? No, my three friends informed me between evil snorts of laughter as I spluttered and blindly tried to wipe off the sticky web and keep from falling off the trail.

I recovered and continued along the dim path when a short, hairy beast leapt out in front of me and started bounding up the gravel trail. I screamed and managed a few wild arm movements while insanely continuing to run.

As my heart resumed its less humming bird like beating, the beast transformed from a frightening creature into a raccoon which took a right turn into the brush.

That's when the hills came alive . . .and NOT with the sound of music. Every rustle and snap of twig became a predator planning his attack. Amazingly enough, we made it to the top.

Lesson learned. Things aren't always as they seem. Too often we jump to conclusions. Think the worst of someone's motives. Don't stop to ask questions.

Just don't stop. Don't give ourselves that moment to regroup. Think things through.

One thing I do know . . . tomorrow I'm sleeping in.

No comments:

Post a Comment